Sunday, November 16, 2014

No Rhyme or Reason - Updated




The more I think about things, the more I see no rhyme or reason in life.  No one knows why some things work out and some things don’t – why some of us get lucky – and some of us...

A quote from the film: Notting Hill


Sometimes it just seems like sadness will eat every single one of us alive.  There are days when it feels like some dark monster with huge teeth lurks around every corner and hides in every closet – just waiting for us to step within reach.

Last year, I lost my best friend to a massive heart attack while he was in the hospital.  I’m still reeling over that.  I think I’ll never actually be “over it.”  I have, in my own small way, memorialized him and my memory of him with a framed collage of photographs on my living room wall, a bush full of gorgeous roses (one of which is pictured up there - at the header of my blog), and with a personalized automobile license tag that he once owned.

Anyone who knew him will recognize this tag.  They will know what it means.  They will understand why I want it on my car.



That was last year.

This year…This morning…. I learned that another of my friends just heard that his brother-in-law had killed himself.  No one seems to know why at this point.  So he and his wife must travel and try to take care of affairs that need taking care of.  I do not know the brother-in-law.  But I know grief.  I know grief…

This year….This last week… I learned that one of my favorite people, my dear friend, has inflammatory breast cancer.   This particular type breast cancer is difficult to spot, invasive, and aggressive.  She has only just learned of this herself.  I feel as though I’ve been punched in the stomach.  I can only attempt to imagine how she must feel.

I’ve never known this friend to be anything but upbeat and kind.  She has a good sense of humor and I always feel good in her company.  How many people do you know that you could say that about?  I can’t remember her ever saying anything bad about anyone.

And now this.

I don't begin to know what she has ahead of her.  But if positive waves do anything, she's got them.

I have a rose growing on the East side of my house.  It's gorgeous, but I don't know what its name is.  It was here when we bought the house.  But I love it.  It's soft and spicy and wonderful.  It makes me feel good every time I see it blooming so beautifully.  I am, from this moment on, going to name it "Sandra" - for my friend. 


So dear friends, I return to the beginning of this post:

The more I think about things, the more I see no rhyme or reason in life.  No one knows why some things work out and some things don’t – why some of us get lucky – and some of us...

A quote from the film: Notting Hill


Thanks for your time.
Your time…..  Your time….
Use it well.
Be true to yourself.
Be kind.
Be happy.
Be well.


~ AngelMay ~

UPDATE:  News of my former boss - the best boss I ever had and one of the nicest people you could ever want to know:  He's been fighting cancer.  As soon as he retired, he learned he had cancer.  Now it is in the kidneys.  He will be entering a controlled test group for a new medication in a couple of weeks.  Fingers and toes crossed here that it works.  It is so depressing to see such good people with these horrible problems.  I wish - I WISH - I had a magic wand to wave to banish this disease from the face of the earth.  All of it.  In all its forms.  Forever.

Final Update:  My former boss passed away on the 24th of September 2015.  A sad day for me.  He was a really great guy.  And I thought the world of him.


3 comments:

The Silver Fox said...

You do seem to find unique ways to give tribute to those who are important to you.

Wish there was something I could do or say to lessen your sense of loss.

AngelMay said...

Unique, maybe. But wholly inadequate.

Mike said...

Cancer is such a terrible curse. I wish they could wipe it out.