Saturday, May 12, 2012

What Is It?

In the process of collecting small, irresistible bottles - mostly perfume bottles - I came across this thingy which, for some incomprehensible reason, I simply could not do without.  (An eye-roll here would be more than appropriate.)

I have no idea what, exactly, it is.  But it appears, to me, to be some sort of apothecary jar/bottle thingy.  Notice that the "stopper" doesn't really "stop" anything.  It just loosely dangles there inside the bottle, itself stopped from falling to the bottom by the little knob located about 2 inches from the top.

Since anything inside this bottle would certainly evaporate, I am at a loss to know for what purpose it could have been used.  The dangly stopper thingy that doesn't stop anything is 7 and 1/8th inches in total length.  The bottle itself is 6 and 3/8th inches tall and 1 and 3/8th inches in diameter.   Properly put together, the whole thing is 8 and 1/2 inches tall.

It's a bottle certainly not meant to hold perfume which is too precious to allow to evaporate.  Anything containing alcohol would not last long within it.

What is this thing?  Does anyone have a clue?

~ AngelMay ~


Brian Miller said...

huh was thinking perfume bottle and you roll the long stopper along the inside of your arm but maybe it had a gasket once that dry rotted?

Gloria said...

Maybe is a taster parfum but that are in Laboratories you know to try a mix a new smell (delicious)
I love parfums Im lost with them are the best!

AngelMay said...

I know it is definitely NOT a perfume bottle. I just can't figure out what a druggist/chemist would do with it.

Kathryn said...

Hi, it's cabinsmama :-)
I have a set of bottles a bit like that in my gold testing kit. The reagents are in squeezable bottles, but to use them, you would squeeze some liquid into the glass bottle, then apply with the glass wand. I'm guessing it's partially because glass is non-reactive and one would only put in the amount of reagent that you would use in one go. Maybe yours was used for other chemicals? They're pretty bottles but not seal-able.

AngelMay said...

cabinsmama! Welcome to this place! And thanks for the answer - but - I still don't understand. Do you put water in the bottle first? Then add some kind of reagent? I'm just not sure what you would be doing there. testing? You are not from Alaska, are you? ;o) My very good neighbor (and fellow TMFer) moved here from Alaska - and she still has a cabin up there.

Monday's Child said...

I was going to guess it was for something oil-based rather than alcohol-based. That wouldn't evaporate, and would be applied in small enough amounts to make a non-stopper like that an appropriate applicator.

So what amount homemade oil fragrances? Or what about rosewater?


AngelMay said...

The "applicator" is huge! The whole thing is quite large. You could conduct an orchestra with that "applicator" ;o)

otin said...

I have no clue!

Gloria said...

well what is finally dear?? LOL
anyway is nice I love beauty things!

Baino said...

Who cares what it's for, it's pretty

Kathryn said...

Hey, sorry for the massive delay! My kit had plastic squeeze bottles of reagent for 14, 18, & 22k gold (some kind of acid). I'd squeeze a bit of liquid into the glass bottle (one for each strength), rub whatever piece of gold I was testing on a special stone, then dab the acid onto the gold streaks. Whichever acid removed the gold streaks was the karat it was (if the 14k acid didn't remove them, the piece was at least 14k, then I'd go up). The bottle and wand made it easier for the acid to be applied rather than squirting it all over the place, if I was testing several pieces.

No Alaska here! But I used to haunt pawn shops in the early '90s and bought a lot of gold that sometimes wasn't stamped.

An image search for "glass acid bottles" might come up with something like yours.