Friday, January 20, 2012

Winter Wonderland


It doesn't often snow here in western Washington state.  We have a very mild climate considering how far north we actually are.  But for the past 3 or 4 days it has been snowing almost constantly.  Soft, tiny, downy white flakes of snow.  Once even big poofy flakes of snow.

This is the view out my living room window of my neighbor's house across the street.  Do notice that I still have my "Happy Lights" up.  My neighbor came over day before yesterday and asked if she and her kids could use my driveway to sled in the snow.  Her driveway, as you can see, is not very steep and is pretty short to boot while mine....



As you can see, my driveway is steep (steeper than it looks in the photo) and long.  It continues up and out of the range of the photo to the right for another good 30 feet, at least.  Her 12-year-old daughter and her little brother (about 3 or 4) went sledding down the driveway the past couple of days - having a great time on their little plastic sleds.



The sleds are about the only color in the neighborhood right now - except....
Just take a look at what I saw a few minutes ago:


Isn't he just gorgeous?!!!  Or...maybe it's a "she".  I never can tell the difference with Jays.
Then, looking out the windows to the driveway side, I spotted this lovely thing:


And another paused from munching on my trees long enough to give her a good look:


There were two others just to the right of this girl.  Two males with small antlers munching on my trees.  Hard to find a decent meal in the snow:


Normally, I have a lovely view of the Olympic mountains from my living room windows, but today (and for the past several days) they have been hidden behind clouds.  In fact, for a while I could not even see the land just there across the bay.  Everything is white and gray:


But inside, all is snug and warm. 



I hope you enjoyed the view from my windows this morning.  We do have a Winter Wonderland out there.   I, however, am staying inside.


~ AngelMay ~


11 comments:

Sandra Leigh said...

That's how to enjoy the snow -- from the comfort of your warm living room, while petting your cuddly warm cat!

Linda said...

Great view of the bay, looks like a great driveway for tobogganing down!

thanks for sharing

Brian Miller said...

ooo what beautiful snow...i wanna go sledding and have a snow ball fight....smiles.

fieldagentxx said...

Hi, Rita! Enjoying your blog with my new kitties…I did venture out this morning to Zumba class, and it's warming up nicely. Gonna be a nasty few rainy days coming up. Next? Flooding.

AngelMay said...

EEK! If it's flooding, I'm glad I live on a hill! The snow has already melted from my neighbor's house across the street - the roof is clear now. We could hear the snow sliding off our house, too - KA-BLAM! :)

Grue said...

Very pretty, AM!

Sub-Radar-Mike said...

Spectacular view from your house! Washington is beautiful in the snow.

The Silver Fox said...

Nice shots. Very nice.

Janice said...

Great photos...a wonderland, Indeed. Sylvie looks so cute as she inspects the change in her view.

Baino said...

Wow you have a lovely outlook over the water. I'd be on that deck in all seasons I think. Just gorgeous

Liz said...

Wow - lovely photo's.............. Love the bird especially!
How is the running machine going???
Liz x