Tuesday, December 13, 2011

AngelMay's Tips: Never Buy Shampoo Again

My hair used to be dry and lifeless.  You would not believe how dead and dry it looked.   And I wondered how on earth that could be.  After all, I was spending a fortune on every brand of shampoo touted in every commercial on the planet.  They all promised miracles and delivered nothing.  In fact, they stripped the natural oils from my hair and scalp such that my scalp constantly itched and I had to used conditioners on my hair to try to "save" it, somehow.  The conditioners simply made it overly oiled.  Why all this expense for no results?

Now I have discovered the answer.  One day I was surfing the 'net and discovered someone else who was doing this.  At first, I wasn't sure it was going to work and so I have waited until now to reveal my little "secret".  For months now, I've been shampooing my hair in nothing but baking soda and water.  I haven't spent a cent on regular, commercial shampoos.

I have found the most wonderful little bottle (you could use any bottle you like, of course).  I found this bottle at the Whole Foods Market here in California where we are currently on a vacation in our RV.  This little bottle is SO marvelous that I have bought FOUR of them.  Well, if one is good.... four would be even better, right?

I put about 1 level Tablespoon of the baking soda into this 3 oz. bottle and then fill it the rest of the way with warm water.  Shake it up to dissolve the baking soda - and that's my shampoo.  I use all of it each time I shampoo.  First I "shampoo" with about half of it, and then rinse.  Then I use the remainder of it for the second cleaning and rinse.

This is absolutely the cheapest "shampoo" you will ever use.  It cleans your hair and scalp beautifully and does not strip the natural oils.

Next, I use a "conditioner" made of aloe vera gel and water.


This one I mix about half gel and half water.  I want it to still be gel-like after it's mixed.  I squeeze out a good palm-full of this mixture and put in all through my hair and let it stay in my hair while I shower the rest of me.

It stays in for about two or three minutes.  I don't dawdle in the shower.  :)

Then, I rinse the aloe vera gel out of my hair and give it the final treatment.


This rinse consists of apple cider vinegar diluted with water.  You can dilute to whatever strength you like.  I usually dilute about half vinegar and half water.  I put the diluted vinegar into a spray bottle and have it ready in the shower.  Once the aloe vera gel is rinsed out I give my hair a good spritzing with the apple cider vinegar.  I run my fingers through my hair to be sure the vinegar covers all the hair, and then I rinse it out clean.

That's it.  You won't find a cheaper way to have beautiful hair.  I can't even begin to tell you how dry and awful my hair looked before I started doing this.  And, even though I'm not so young any more and my hair is getting rather thin, I think it has never looked more beautiful or healthy.


What do you think?

And that's AngelMay's tip to save you money and let you in on how to have healthy, shiny hair - whatever your age.

AngelMay
~

10 comments:

Sub-Radar-Mike said...

I tried the baking soda shampoo method for awhile and it didn't work for me at all. But then again I didn't use any of the conditioning methods you mentioned, maybe that's where I went wrong.

Brian Miller said...

huh these are really intersting angelmay...never really thought about trying this...might give it a try...

The Silver Fox said...

Ah, always a pleasure to read a post that sheds light on the human condition(er). :)

Janice said...

Hmmm...interesting. I am going to give this a try.

Gloria said...

I dont know dear, I remember a friend that wash her hair with this to wash clothes, well she were really special and she have blonde hair;) and always look nice(lol) I love natural shampoo but really dont have porblems with dry hair, anyway Angel may is important you eat for your hair and skin,I use aloe vera gel for my skin when Im tanned(like now) is nice and I have a plant too, :)

Baino said...

Well bless your cotton sox. I'm just about to run out of shampoo and pennies so will definitely give the baking soda wash and aloe a crack ...although I have very frizzy hair so it'll have to be something a little more 'oily' than vinegar to tame the curls. Top tip Angel baby!
@Foxy "groan"

Sandra Leigh said...

I've been using your system for a couple of weeks now, Angel May, and I like it. I'm too lazy to do the squeeze bottle bit, so I just shake some baking soda into my cupped hand, add water from the shower, and dump it on my head. Same with the aloe vera - a bit of gel in my hand, some water, rub hands together, and apply. Perhaps because I don't have much hair, this seems to be working just fine. Thanks for the tip.

AngelMay said...

You're welcome, Sandra. I'm amazed at how my hair has "come to life" after doing this. Before, it felt like straw. Now it feels silky and healthy. :)

The Silver Fox said...

Merry Christmas!

Linda said...

Gave it a try today AM, will see how well it works with very long - down below my butt- hair.

I'd really like to get further and further away from chemicals.

Linda