Thursday, August 18, 2011

Spendin' Money


Ha! Betcha you didn't think you would ever see me again, huh? Fooled ya, I did!

Is it possible to be so bored that you just decide to spend money? Whether bored or no, I've been spending money like I had a printing press. Just little stuff. Stuff other people don't want. I know they don't want it because they have put it up for sale on eBay for foolish people like me to come along and buy it.

I have found all manner of lovely little doo-dads. I'm a sucker for little bottles and jars and now I have a drawer full of them. I also have a lovely new vanity tray and some salt and pepper shakers. I have a wonderful green bottle and a brown bottle (those will go into the kitchen) and a sterling silver bell. The bell will go beside my bed so that I can summon help in an emergency - like needing my back scratched.

I have a new old sugar shaker that works just fine for sprinkling sugar on strawberries and I have a second pair of salt shakers that I ended up with after I changed my mind and no one else would bid on the damned things.

Then there was The Jar.

I was scrolling down the pages - page after page - looking for vanity jars when suddenly I spied "it." OMG! It was lovely. It was enticing. It was smooth, black glass with a lift-off lid of the same smooth black glass. I was in love. I started to drool. This was something special. This was no ordinary jar. This was magic. Black magic. I began to shake. I must have that jar, I thought. I must! I looked at the price and my jaw dropped. What's the matter with this seller?, I wondered. Is she daft? She was asking $5.00 for the most wonderful jar on the planet in an immediate buy-it-now transaction. I could scarcely contain myself. I would have paid a hundred! My heart was beating (and a damned good thing, that, too) and my head was spinning. I carefully moved the mouse over the "buy it" button - and pressed! It's mine! MINE!

For days I worried that it would arrive broken or smashed (there's a difference?). But the gods were with me. It now graces my vanity and I love it still. Who says love at first sight doesn't last?

Then, one afternoon one of my other packages arrived. (It's been like Christmas every day for the past two weeks - and all for ME! - because I'm worth it...) I opened it to find several miniature perfume bottles with partially-used contents. I had just wanted the bottles, but I decided to give the perfume a sniff before dumping it all. One of them was like pulling the stopper on heaven. I think I've never smelled anything quite so wonderful in my life. I put some on. Oh. My. God. In love again.

I had thought no fragrance would ever enchant me quite as much as Joy. But this one did. And the most wonderful thing about it - besides it making you fall in love with your own self when you put it on - is that it is long discontinued. Created in the 1930's - oh my. The 1930's must have been a fabulous time - assuming you didn't lose everything you had in 1929. But today, that wonderful house is no more - long gone. Lucky for me, there are still bottles of this fragrance to be had if you keep an eye open. And I've been buying it up like the well is going to run dry any minute. And who knows? It might! So I'm after a life-time supply - and, at my age, that is not all that much I can tell you.

But HA! I know you are wondering what this fabulous fragrance might be - but it shall remain my little secret for the moment. You see... I have a bid in on another bottle and I just don't want the competition. It is my precious....

Besides... I need to get it now before I run out of money. And, if the stock market treats me tomorrow as badly as it did today, perfume may be all I'm wearing for quite some time.

Here's lookin' atcha.


AngelMay

8 comments:

Lo said...

Loved this post! You are obviously the other ME. I identified with every shiver, gasp and moan.

Haven't done this for a while, but it actually kept me alive 2 years ago and I don't regret a thing......well, maybe one of the 20 or so owls that I grabbed up could have been left for some other owl freak....but what the hell....I figure I can always sell it on Ebay.

All of my favorite perfumes are from the 30's....but I think they are still making mine....I can't wait till you can tell me the name....Please do.
lms52927@aol.com

AngelMay said...

Hi Lo! SO good to see you - and to be back here. I'll tell you the name of the perfume AFTER the "auction" ends in the next day or so. I just love having a fragrance that I KNOW everyone else is not going to be wearing.

I loved your comment - I love your send of humor and it's fun that we are "birds" of a feather - so to speak.

Thanks for not giving up on me. I've had some rough times out here but I'm hanging in there and I do still have a sense of humor. It's like air - can't live without it.

AngelMay said...

Good grief! I love your SENSE of humor. Not your "send" of humor. I'm a nut. :)

Brian Miller said...

good to see you angel...you are sounding a bit like gollum...smiles.

Janice said...

So glad to see you back! I, too, am an eBay fan and have had many treasures arrive at my door. I'm glad you are going to tell us the name of the perfume eventually; it is hard to imagine a scent more delicious than Joy.

AngelMay said...

Thanks Brian and Janice! Yes, Brian - I saw it and ....My Precious! Argh! Must have.... must have! :)

Janice - all will be revealed soon. And so good to see you, too. Also glad to know I'm not the only one who goes crazy every now and then buying "stuff" that, apparently, its current owner does not want.

Baino said...

Hello my lovely. Well I for one will never compromise on nice perfume and soft toilet tissue, so when you're ready . . tell us what it is.

PattiKen said...

Glad to see you. Angel May. What a fun post. Yes, please, tell us what this magic potion is called.