Monday, April 25, 2011

The Worst Hard Time


AngelMay rates it: 4.9 stars


Oh. My. Gosh. This was a jaw-dropper. I can NOT imagine living through what these people endured. I discovered that I don't think much of Herbert Hoover who would not release a single penny of government money to help these people. It was not until FDR came to office that they received anything in the way of help.

This book must be read to know what life was really like for those who lived in the great Dust Bowl of the United States during the late 20's and early 30's.

I cannot give it 5 stars because the author misspelled a word - and the editor (if there was an editor) didn't give it its due attention so that it was corrected. I have great respect for the printed word and I am very unforgiving of grammatical errors within it.

Having said that, this is an amazing book that details an era in the United States we should all know - and vow never to allow to happen again. The strength and endurance of the people who experienced this catastrophe is nothing short of phenomenal.

Read it. You won't be sorry.

~ AngelMay

~

9 comments:

The Silver Fox said...

Although I haven't read this book, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the misspelling you mention was merely a typo made at the publisher's end of it.

My very first (co-written with Skip Simpson) comic book, in 1987, had compact discs as one of the plot elements. I used the "disc" spelling in the script, preferring it to "disk." Somewhere during his drawing of the story, the artist (who was also the letterer) switched from one to the other. When we pointed it out to him, he was rather indifferent!

Naturally, the one reader who wrote in to mention it blamed Skip and myself.

Sorry if that distracts from your great review of an obvious well-told tale. I'm in a RantZy kinda mood this month!

And it's good to see a post from you any time!

Brian Miller said...

huh...sounds like a fascinating read angel

Brian Miller said...

good to see you...

AngelMay said...

The error was this: "...they struggled to breath."

That particular misspelling drives me nuts. "Breath" and "breathe" don't sound anything alike and it's an almost inexcusable error. :D

Always nice to see a comment from you, too. I know I'm not posting very much lately. I've been sick - and have other things also going on right now that are commanding my attention - but I'm still out here. :)

AngelMay said...

Hey! :)

AngelMay said...

Argh! Meant to post:

Hey! < waving to Brian! > But editor doesn't like the brackets. Poot.

The Silver Fox said...

"Breath" instead of "breathe?" Ugh. How about "cloths" when the word "clothes" is meant?

Sorry you haven't been well, and I hope those "other things" keeping you from blogging aren't bad things.

AngelMay said...

No, not bad things - just busy things .... and a bit of a life change. We shall see. Will let you know if and when things come about. :)

Janice said...

This sounds like a great read; I will check it out. Hope you are feeling better soon...