Thursday, August 12, 2010

Theme Thursday: Palm


You tree!

You palm!

You prehistoric plant with rustling fronds

That whisper in the gentle breezes of soft summer nights

In pleasant harmony to rhythmic moon-lit waves

Softly lapping the evening-cooled beach sands


Such power lies in that soft sound to resurrect ancient memories

And call them forth in treasured scenes that float easily to the mind’s surface

Then stab deeply at hearts that ache for remembered nights long gone


Nights when piano bars in upscale lounges mellowed supple lovelies

In their backless, basic black and pearls

Their limbs smooth as the jazz notes from the gleaming baby grand

Their heels clicking on palm-lined patios and marble dance floors

Then gliding silently over deep plush carpet to their velvet-cushioned seats

On the arms of handsome, eager young gentlemen who opened doors

And fetched icy, tinkling, umbrella-bedecked highballs in frosty glasses

To set before them as offerings unto a goddess.


Laughter, then, was easy and the nights were satin and silk

Nights, it was imagined, that could never – and would never – end

For we were young and full of longing and passion for love and for life

Without notion of time and the ravages of which it is not only capable

But determined


You tree…

You palm…

You powerful, prehistoric plant

I hear your whisper and close my eyes

Floating back in time…


.

AngelMay

August, 2010

.


29 comments:

Vibhuti B said...

Aaah Angelmay..
you are quite a romantic at heart..
And yes, the palms do sound like they are whispering some sweet nothings in the breeze..:D
Loved your take on the prompt..And the pic reminds me of GOA..:))

Janice said...

Thank you for a beautiful tropical trip to the past. I could feel myself, wearing basic black and pearls, listening to the baby grand in that upscale piano bar. Such vivid imagery!

LadyCat said...

This was like a visit to paradise. It reminds me of our trip to the tropics of dining out on the open verandas and of course wearing my simple black dress. I love the crystal blue water in the picture. Thanks for the mini vacation : )

Julie said...

An interesting float back in time, AngelMay. I like the sound of the dance floor and the images you create in my head. May the whispering palms continue to weave their magic.

Brian Miller said...

oh i love those nights that never end angelmay...smiles.under the palms...nevermind the sand...


happy tt!

☺lani☺ said...

Gorgeous! A place for a romantic person. Love it!

Me said...

ooh...loved this, so descriptive. And I saw the whole thing in my mind's eye in b&w, somehow...

Great TT!
-C

C.M. Jackson said...

I love talking to trees and love your poem--whispering back as one speaks-I will have to listen more-happy TT-c

Francisca said...

Lovely, AngelMay... I can feel myself there, lost in the romance...

Leeuna Foster said...

Beautiful poetry. Love the imagery. I can almost hear the palms whisper.

tony said...

Lovely Angelmay.I hear the Palms swaying in the breeze.

Dot-Com said...

The breeze taking the palm leaves. The whisper they make. How romantic :)

Claudia said...

oh wow - you have created some beautiful lines like pearl strings...my favorite was...Nights when piano bars in upscale lounges mellowed supple lovelies
In their backless, basic black and pearls..

Meri said...

Oh - just noticed you're from Washington now, California Girl. Me too, but I've never been a California Girl.

Tracy said...

Beautiful. Show me the way to the tiki bar!

Betty said...

O, that was beautiful! Really enjoyed reading it. So evocative.
And thank you for visiting my blog.

PattiKen said...

Oh, I love this. That palm tree seems to remember another time. Magical.

Stranger said...

Wow. Love the place you bring us to with all the imagery.

nanny said...

Thanks for saying it for me.....I feel every word of it!

otin said...

Boy did you say a lot in very few words! Now I want to go to a tropical island!

Jessie said...

you encapsulated all vintages of time. very romantic.

warm smiles,

Gladys said...

Brings to mind a Gastby-ish image. Beautiful

Leo said...

a palm worth reading.. a lovely nostalgic feel.. and a beautiful picture..

Everyday Goddess said...

I love the stylish images! What a time it must have been.

sorry to be so late getting here!

Baino said...

Very romantic. I didn't play this week just couldn't think of anything and even my photos of palms were a bit dodgy. You done good kid.

Paul C said...

Sensuous imagery.

Everyday Goddess said...

i would have emailed you back after you left a comment on my newest post, you are right, she should have made them eat them!

hope that makes sense!

Mmm said...

Ahhh, that;s a beautiful piece. i like how you describe the dresses, dance, etc. Good job, Angelmay!!

Jingle said...

lovely palms.
stunning poem!