Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Things I Sometimes Think About – 3






Turnabout is fair play.

So what’s with all these women who are drowning themselves in noxious fumes and then venturing forth into society silently assaulting the innocent and unsuspecting?

We were dining yesterday and immensely enjoying a salad that was richly adorned with gorgeous red tomatoes when, on the other side of a half-partition, a party of mostly young women were being seated.

Suddenly, my salad lost its taste. Or, that is, my ability to taste my salad was lost in the overpowering stench of the latest, and probably unjustifiably expensive, “fragrance” on the market. I attempted to cover my nose to avoid the gaggingly-offensive assault on my person, but it was too late. The molecules of stench were wafting in every direction from the young lovely who, I am sure, thought she smelled absolutely divine.

Whatever happened to the discreet dab of fragrance on the wrists, or the delicate touch at the throat and behind the ears that gave a woman that certain understated elegance and je ne sais quoi? At what point did women come to believe they must shower in the fragrance in order to be noticed? And do they never stop to think of the battles being fought in the air around them between their own fragrance and those, different fragrances, of their companions – not to mention the ambush of innocent bystanders in the vicinity? Wasn’t there a perfume at one time called “Ambush”? How apropos!

My personal fragrance is “Joy” which is quite expensive for a single ounce but it lasts for years, is worth the price, and comes in a lovely crystal bottle sans any spray mechanism whatsoever:



Even the professional perfumer’s description of this fragrance makes it alluring as they announce that it is “a classic, womanly, gorgeously balanced scent. It is the olfactory equivalent of a 1950s Dior dinner suit — flattering, adaptable, and luxurious down to its hand-basted seams.” Ooooooo! Yum!

So women everywhere! Stop it! Stop it at once! There is no need to knock the unsuspecting down left and right as you pass by. Refuse to purchase perfumes that come in spray bottles. Insist, instead, on quality fragrances and use them discretely. Have some mystery about you! Some elegance! Some class!

And just maybe you will end up with a nice guy who doesn’t spit.



.

10 comments:

RA said...

Heheh. I am the head of perfumes and cosmetics in a big department store and, goes without saying, my job is to see to selling perfumes among other things. The more the better. But I must say, that women these days buy wrong and have no knowledge of appropriate use. The results are exactly what you describe. And I am saddened to say that they make the same mistakes with make up....
I love Joy, but it does not agree with my skin. Chanel No.5 does. :)

Brian Miller said...

lord, i know a few of these...my grandmother is the worse as well..i think she bathes in it...it is hard to breathe at times...

Janice said...

AmgelMay, I also love JOY, my mother's favorite scent. But moderation is always a wise decision...in all aspects of life.

Megan said...

Oh, how I agree with you. The young lovelies of The OC are particularly bad...

Sandy said...

Unfortunately I am one of those people that has an extremly bad reaction to "killer perfumes." I found that there are more of us around than I realized. There are a few fragrances that don't bother me much, but they do seem to be the quality brands. Wonder what kind of fillers you find in 'fumes. :S

Alan Burnett said...

My own fragrance is Laphroaig - expensive by my does it taste good.

AngelMay said...

LOL! Alan you are a hoot! ;o)

willow said...

I think it's all about an individual's chemistry and how it mixes with the fragrance....and moderation, of course.

otin said...

I have been to so many coffee places and and bagel shops where I have gotten a cup of coffee and the cup smelled like perfume. That is so gross to me!!

Baino said...

Two of my undying luxuries are nice perfume and soft toilet tissue. No matter how poor, I'm still dabbing a little Dior, Chanel or Calvin Klein - in fact in Paris, I will buy Jean Deespres' Bal a Versailles, love it but no, I don't slosh it on. @ RA, I think you could be my new best friend if only you didn't live so far north! Whoever made Joop needs to die! Painfully.