Sunday, July 11, 2010

Things I Sometimes Think About – 1


I love the play, “Inherit the Wind” by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee.

I love the witty lines and the lines that punch home hard with truth and challenge. One of my very favorite exchanges, you may remember, goes something like this:

The William Jennings Bryan character, "Matthew Harrison Brady" (played by Fredric March), is on the witness stand and replies to a question put by the Clarence Darrow character, "Henry Drummond" (played by Spencer Tracy):

"I don't think about things that I don't think about!"


Henry Drummond responds:

"Well, do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

These are truly unforgettable lines and there is so much grist in that exchange that you could write pages about it. But you can relax. I won’t. Instead, I will report that I sometimes wonder how many people actually take the time to really think about anything. How often do we sit quietly – and I mean quietly (no radio, no TV, no music…just blissful silence) – and ponder our world? Ourselves? Cabbages, and kings?

I sometimes find myself thinking of the weirdest things. Not that they are weird in and of themselves, mind you, but just weird that I, out of the blue and out of context with anything going on around me at that moment, happened to think of them at all. But then, I’ve always been one to ask questions. To wonder. To challenge. So I’ve decided to do a “mind wandering” series of posts (that could show up at any time) entitled “Things I Sometimes Think About” because…..it’s interesting to me….could possibly be interesting to others….And…


Because I can.




.


6 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh but it is..i like to know what people think...because it challenges me to think...

RA said...

I can't wait to read where your mind wanders. I have one of those minds myself, and hence I know that something good is about to be revealed. :)

Lo said...

Fabulous idea.....I am sitting at table in wild anticipation clutching knife and fork (or maybe spoon)....napkin tied around my neck 'cause I can be a messy eater and I expect to gobble.

Janice said...

Great idea. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

Baino said...

Ah I really need to take time to think. I've gone stale this year. Looking forward to your warblings and wonderings. I must admit, some things kick into my head and I wonder where on earth that thought came from.

Sandra Leigh said...

Now you've done it. I want to watch "Inherit the Wind" again. It's been too long.