Monday, June 7, 2010

When There Is Nothing To See


When there is nothing to see, there is often still something to see. If you get my drift.

Driving along Missouri highways, and pretty much bored with passing trees and billboards, suddenly I spied a boldly blue water tower in the distance. I don't think I've ever seen a water tower quite this blue before.



Mostly, they are rather washed-out, whitish-blue such as this one:


Then, all of a sudden.... Hold the Phone! What the heck? Did somebody have a sale on orange paint or something?




Not to be outdone, yet another town went all the way and bought out the whole paint store:


Then we came upon this one:


They seem to be proud to be American here. Or something. Little bit odd shape for a water tower, but nothing compared to others we've seen. After snapping these photos today, I started thinking of all the interesting water towers we've seen elsewhere. Like the "golf ball" tower in Huntsville, Alabama:


Looks like it could use a new paint job.

Here's a unique tower in Metropolis, Illinois:


Well, what did you expect? Batman?

Prompted by these rather unique towers, I began to search the internet and found all manner of water towers in all imaginable shapes and sizes. From peaches, watermelons, and pineapples... to bottles of ketchup and whiskey, teacups and saucers, and even ears of corn.

America. What a great place.

That's my story....

AngelMay

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ok totally digging the superman water tower...there is a big peach tower in GA...

Jingle said...

very amazing collections!

The Silver Fox said...

How about the Hooterville water tower in Petticoat Junction?

(And I can't shake the thought of the water tower in your first photo singing "Am I Blue?")

AngelMay said...

Fox: Am I Blue? LOL - Good one.

Sandra Leigh said...

LOL - I'm just coming back to life and catching up on Bloglife -- what a treat to read your posts. I'm glad to hear that you're on the way home. At least at the moment, it's cool enough here to make you really happy.

Sandy said...

I like how you take simple, everyday things and pull them together to make an entertaining post. :D

Kathy said...

This was fun!

Betsy said...

Is this a trick? I'm here looking for treats! :) Happy Theme thursday!

Jill said...

Creativity in a water tower? Awesome. Orange though??? Hmmmm.

Mama Zen said...

What cool pictures!

California Girl said...

I am totally psyched to see the Metropolis tower, not because of Superman but because my father was born there in 1910. I've never been. My brother has. He went back for Dad's 50th high school reunion. 9 folks were still alive.

This is so cool. Thanks! I'm sending to my bro.