Friday, May 14, 2010

Southwestern Trekking


On leaving Flagstaff for Tucson, we encountered the above scenic vista along the way. I was mightily impressed at the sheer expanse of land in this country that is unused by humans. There were literally miles upon miles of square miles with absolutely no sign of human life, though I'm sure it is teeming with other forms of life. There is an inexplicable beauty to something so untouched by humans.

A little farther down the road we encountered this gentleman:


He appears as though responding to the command: "This is a stick-up!"

Some human habitation is present here:


...but there is so little water in evidence one wonders how they manage.

Here is an example of the beauty we encountered along our way:


What gorgeous blooms! The colors are in-your-face unashamed of their boldness. I love them!

And who would think that a pile of rocks could be so pretty?


Apparently, they mean so much to the state of Arizona that there is a law against defacing them in any way. Can't blame them for that. Quite lovely, really.

Las Cruces, New Mexico as we approached:


I found the scene to be totally awesome.

I must relate one horrifying incident that occurred today. At one point we had spied a grocery store from the Interstate and exited to do some shopping. As I got out of the RV I was attempting to pocket my cell phone when I dropped it onto the asphalt of the parking lot - breaking it apart into several pieces.

At first I just stared at it with my mouth open in disbelief. After all, this is my lifeline to the world! I picked up the pieces as if they were parts of a loved child and gently tried putting them back together again. Lo! The battery slid back into its place. Then the back cover snapped into place over it. Next the front clam-shell flap snapped back into place as well - after a try or two. Finally, I held my breath and turned it on. Voila! I felt it vibrate into life and the audible swish of the AT&T logo was heard. I gave it a try - and all my numbers were still there waiting for me.

I exhaled.

That's my story....

AngelMay

8 comments:

Baino said...

Awesome mountains there Angel. I just had to buy a new phone. I dropped mine, lost it then found it all squished in the driveway. . I'd clearly run over it! Yep, still trying to get all my numbers back and I need a university degree to operate my new one.

AngelMay said...

LOL Baino! I understand about those complicated phones. Luckily, mine is rather simple.

Brian Miller said...

the country out there is beautiful...love the cacti too...so glad the phone survived...whew!

Janice said...

Lovely AZ shots. You've got one tough phone!

Sandra Leigh said...

I'm glad to see that you have finally escaped Flagstaff - and found your way to beautiful New Mexico. Any chance of your getting to Santa Fe?

AngelMay said...

Santa Fe way far north - no chance, Sandra. Not on this trip. :o(

Sandy said...

Congrats on reconstructing your phone. Looks like your trip is exciting, not to mention interesting. I love seeing all of the pics. It has been a long time since I was out west. We are fortunate to live in such a beautiful and diverse country. Keep safe!

fieldagentxx said...

Love your pics...but what is that stuff that looks like raspberry jam in the empty hushpuppies dish? Maybe it's my monitor...
I'm really enjoying reading your adventures, AM! Did you see Tara?