Friday, May 7, 2010

I Saw Plenty O' Nothin'

Ha! After bidding farewell to my dear friend "Bear", we found ourselves, today, driving through California desert. We saw plenty of nothin' the whole day long. Here's an example of the exciting countryside we passed:


And more!


And...wait a minute...! Is that a..... Is that.....


OMG! It is! The tail end of a train! Now THAT was exciting! Imagine! Evidence of human life out there in all that vast, empty space!

Actually, the stark beauty of the naked, rolling hills was a little awe-inspiring. And the scenery so reminded me of "Bad Day At Black Rock" that I half-expected Spencer Tracy to step out from behind the boxcar. He didn't, of course, but the thought brought much pleasure.

And then, just when we thought there was absolutely nothing to look at along this particular leg of our journey, over the tops of the upcoming hills marched strings of aliens invading earth!


All manner of cheesy, 1950's sci-fi flicks came to mind. And here they were! Invading - just as predicted! Surely there will not be a living human remaining when they swarm down upon us with their three arms waving wildly. They must have a single eye in the center of those three powerful arms. The evil eye - waiting to lock onto us....and send us all to our doom!

Finally, and safely past the alien invasion, we reached our destination for the evening. We have been told that this is the hottest place in the country - Needles, CA. But we have survived it so far. We were greeted by the host of the RV park who directed us to our "space" which is quite nicely separated from the spaces to both the left and right by lovely hedges of Oleanders.


I confess that I have already pilfered a tiny bouquet of them for my dining table. I think they are just lovely:



And so, after a hard day's drive, here's one person who knows how to relax while I tap away at the computer:


I think I will take a hint and bid you a very good evening.

AngelMay

7 comments:

otin said...

When I was in Southern California, I was not really impressed with the scenery. The weather was nice, though!

Brian Miller said...

nice...the beauty of the naked land...sounds just about perfect. glad you are having a good time...

Megan said...

We were in Needles in August, once. Never again!

Baino said...

Wow that's a cool campervan! I could live in one of those - permanently. There is something raw and beautiful about wide open plains but yes, they go on for ever here as well! You do know that Oleander is poisonous? But I think you have to eat it so don't be tempted to make an herbal tea!

Janice said...

I am enjoying your travel diary. Yeah...Needles...hmm...not too much to say about that place, at least not much that is good, though there is beauty everywhere if we're open to it. Happy Trails!

Sandra Leigh said...

Be careful, AM - Re the oleander - apparently the sap can be troublesome too - causing "skin irritations, severe eye inflammation and irritation, and allergy reactions characterized by dermatitis", according to Wiki.

sandy said...

Oleander is extremely toxic to pets! Don't let Sophie near it!