Saturday, April 24, 2010

Random Thoughts on a Saturday Morning

Just sitting here thinking about cabbages and kings. I often do that. No matter how hard I try, I simply cannot discipline what passes for my mind. This morning is rather pretty here. The bay is calm, the sky is dotted with clouds, and, while the snow-covered mountain peaks are hidden behind those clouds, the rolling foothills of those mountains are serene and green in a partial sunshine that is struggling mightily to do a bit better.

I look over at my beloved cat who is sleeping peacefully and I remember her as a kitten. And this sparked several questions:

Is there anything on the planet cuter than a kitten?


Is there anything sweeter than a fawn tucked safely away by her mom amongst the foliage just outside my office window?


Is there anything more intelligent than a Border Collie?


Funnier or more entertaining than a Sea Otter?


Does anything smell as sweet as the Oleander in bloom?


Well... ok... maybe the Night-Blooming Jasmine:


Ah....
This brings fond memories of my girlhood (is that a word? girlhood?) in Florida.

There was a night-blooming jasmine right outside my bedroom window and on soft, summer evenings that heady sweet fragrance transported you to some indescribable, heavenly place.

One year my daddy planted sugar cane in the back yard:


And when it was ready, he cut it for me and I chewed and sucked on the sticky, sugary sweetness, happily oblivious to the juice running down my face and arms and hands. Little kids don't care about that sort of thing. They are very akin to kittens and puppies in that they take instant pleasure whenever it comes their way.

One year we went on vacation to Georgia to visit some relatives. I remember being in their tobacco barn -- a most wonderful and unique smell you will never forget if you ever have the chance to experience it. That year we were treated to watermelon like none I've tasted since. Fresh from the field it was cut and brought to the house. There, in the yard, my relative took a huge knife and he whacked the melons in half and everyone - even the kids like me - got an entire half of a delicious, ripe, red watermelon. Salt shakers were passed all around and we all felt pampered as kings as we dove into the seedless heart of the thing - ecstatic that we did not have to share it with anyone.


The richest man in Georgia did not eat better on that day.

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

no he did not...what l little snapshots of life...and somedays i wish i was a sea otter or a cat...so playful and comfortable...

Janice said...

Beautiful pictures, lovely memories.

Baino said...

I have a night flowering jasmine near my window also but it looks a little different to yours. The fragrance is overpowering sometimes but beautiful. You put salt on watermelon?

AngelMay said...

I love that overpowering fragrance of the jasmine. And yes! Salt on watermelon is sublime. ;o)

Almost every Southerner I've ever known puts salt on watermelon.

And also cantaloupe. Also on cantaloupe we put pepper. Pepper really brings out the flavor of cantaloupe.

Sandra Leigh said...

I put salt on apples, too - though not as often as I used to. Now I keep hearing voices in my head saying PUT THAT SALT SHAKER DOWN! Pesky voices.

AngelMay said...

I never EVER listen to those voices. And I also put salt on apples. ;o)

Megan said...

I am going to try salt on watermelon the next chance I get!

CatLadyLarew said...

Wonderful memories!

otin said...

What a great bit of reflection!

Love the photos!

Jingle said...

lovely pictures,
I wish I can taste the watermelon!

Jessie said...

such warm and beautiful random thoughts. i loved the pictures. i too have memories of eating watermelon like that in the south -- only my memories are minus the tobacco barn.

thank you for such a warm conversation...

Harnett-Hargrove said...

That must be a Florida thingy, as a young girl living down there we also put salt on our fast disapearing watermelon! When I moved north, friends would put SUGAR on it! YUCK!!!
You have made my day with these memories, colors and textures. -J

Alan Burnett said...

Is there anything more pleasurable to read than a well-conceived, well-written, well-illustrated blog. No, don't think there is. Thanks AngelMay.