Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Theme Thursday - Polka Dots


Pointillism is one of the first things that came to mind as I considered the subject of “Polka Dots”.

According to Wiki:

Pointillism is a
technique of painting in which small distinct dots of color create the impression of a wide selection of other colors and optical blending. Aside from color "mixing" phenomena, there is the simpler graphic phenomenon of depicted imagery emerging from disparate points.

The technique relies on the perceptive ability of the eye and mind of the viewer to mix the color spots into a fuller range of tones. It is a technique with few serious practitioners and is notably seen in the works of Seurat, Signac and Cross. The term Pointillism was first coined by art critics in the late 1880s to ridicule the works of these artists and is now used without its earlier mocking connotation.


So I offer up a couple of examples of this beautiful work. The first is by Georges Seurat and is called “Gray weather, Grande Jatte”:



The second is by Paul Signac and is really extraordinarily beautiful. It is called “Palais des Papes Avignon”:




And, finally, one of my favorites by Signac, “La Bouee Rouge”:




Actually, I think they are all extraordinarily beautiful. I hope you enjoyed.

20 comments:

Tracey said...

I love these. I tried pointillism once in an art class, but I have no patience. It started out okay, but my "points" kept getting bigger and bigger until my style would more properly be called, blotchillism.

Janice said...

Beautiful! And I learned a new word. By the way, I remember dotted swiss, too.

VE said...

I didn't know that word. I thought they just did that with a tiny paint gun...

AngelMay said...

Tracey: Blotchillism! That is hilariously funny!

Poetikat said...

There is something about that effect that is so tranquil, isn't there?
It also suggests antiquity--with a kind of mosaic-feel, I think.
Nice post for the theme, AngelMay.

Stephanie said...

Excellent. I love pointillism. Beautiful art.

Brian Miller said...

oh these were wonderful...love all the color...unique take on the theme...my mind did not go there...nicely done. happy tt!

The Clever Pup said...

So clever. This is PERFECT for today. The word actually came out of my teenage son's mouth yesterday!

subby said...

Heeeyy! Now that was a cool lesson in dots :) Great take, AngelMay!

The Mistress said...

Makes me long for my grad days in art school...except for the thesis writing, that is.

~Angela

Baino said...

It crossed my mind to post Seurat paintings as well. They're stunning aren't they. My parents had a load of lovely Impressionist prints on their walls. A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte was a favourite, always something to see that you'd never noticed before.

JeffScape said...

They are nice.

Comic books used to be colored with tiny polka dots. Does that count?

Skip Simpson said...

Did you ever hear of a musical by Stephen Sondheim called "Sunday In The Park With George," about George Seurat? Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVO9rN5Bk1A

As a painter, I personally love pointillism. Great post!

otin said...

I like that look. Is that 4 mega pixels?? lol!

Mmm said...

I have seen a lot of Seurat's art work at the Chicago museum of contemporary art. I love his stuff adn a good tie into to polka dots too.

Alan Burnett said...

I so agree, there is a beauty in them. The technique seems to emphasize shape which is odd because it deconstructs shape and reduces it to nothing but dots.

The Silver Fox said...

Wow. Fascinating, captain! Takes me back to high school art class.

On an unrelated note, AngelMay, please check out this post on my Silver Fox blog. You'll be glad you did... I hope.

AngelMay said...

Fox: Indeed I'm glad I did. In fact, I'm quite speechless!

The Silver Fox said...

Speechless? Does that mean you won't be able to blog any more? Oh, no! What have I done?!? ;-)

Dreamhaven said...

Wonderful take on the polka dot theme.