Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Theme Thursday - Snow



7

Footprints, rarely seen,
Of tiny scurrying things
Carved into the snow




8

Snow sparkles in sun
Silence blanketing the world
An icicle drops




I never saw much snow until I moved to Alabama. Yes. It isn’t just stars that fall on Alabama. Of course we never had the kind of snow you have to dig your way through. But we had more than enough of it to suit my taste.

Always liked the “idea” of snow, though. And Christmas cards with snowy scenes. This was always fine as long as I was inside, all toasty warm and sipping hot chocolate and refusing to be pried out with a shoe-horn. Although I do remember one winter in ‘bama when we had a big snow that settled on the ground for days, completely bringing everything to a stand-still. Except, of course, those of us crazy enough to get out there and go sledding down the road. I rode on the back of the sled while my friend “drove”. Of course we could not stop the thing and when we got to the end of the road we just kept going out onto the crossroad. Right in front of a police car. I think everybody laughed. Actually, I’m kinda fuzzy on that now. I seem to remember something about bail…

I’m a day early but….
Happy Snowy Thursday Everyone!


© December 2009 by Alexandra Scot

28 comments:

Skip Simpson said...

That MUST be Northern Alabama! I've NEVER seen that much snow here in Southern Alabama!

AngelMay said...

Yep - you b right, Skip. Just outside Huntsville.

otin said...

It snows a little in the South every now and then!

Jessie said...

beautiful pics and words. i would have never guessed northern Alabama would get so much snow!
thanks for sharing,

Poetikat said...

Loved the haiku - especially the icicle dropping.
I've got a great story for you here: http://cultclipsgenx.blogspot.com/2008/12/most-wanted-rolling-stones-part-1.html

We get loads of that "stuff you have to shovel through". Loads. yay.

AngelMay said...

Poetikat - you knocked a kid right out of his boots??? What a hoot! That's just too funny.

Brian Miller said...

oh i wish it would snow...it seemed like it snowed so much more when we were kids...i have such fond memories of sledding and snowball fights...love the verses you start with...the little tracks of critters...cool image!

AngelMay said...

Where are you, Brian? Do you usually get snow?

tori said...

great poem! snow makes everyone do crazy things.

Kris said...

The pun is only mildly intended, but that second photo is so very cool...

Lizzie said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos, AngelMay. I too would have never guessed good ol' Alabama to get that much snow! Wow! It is incredible, though, isn't it? :)

Happy TT.

e said...

Lovely images and photos...Now, about that bail...LOL! Happy TT!

...mmm... said...

I didn't know Alabama got any snow either! Well, I'm just glad you were ok in that sled--too many kids die that way going out into oncoming cars!

Well, speaking for myself, couldn't agree with you more here: "all TOASTY warm and sipping hot chocolate!"

Ronda Laveen said...

Angel May, until now, I really never associated Alabama with snow. Bama is south. Snow is usually north. So not only is this my literary education it is my geographical education as well. Gosh, I just love blogging. It erases so many stereotypes. I have a sledding incident story that still makes me shudder.

Baino said...

I'm surprised. I thought the south was temperate. Live and learn Baino, live and learn. It is a romantic notion though I hate the idea of driving in it and I'm surprised that kids get a day off when it snows. You'd think that snowplows and salting the roads would make them navigable for school?

Betsy said...

Footprints, rarely seen,
Of tiny scurrying things
Carved into the snow

LOVE that...

Alan Burnett said...

I never realised that you had snow in Alabama, you see I learn things all the time from this blogging. Happy snowy TT to you too.

JeffScape said...

How did you see any snow through all that kudzu?

Wings said...

We did lots of dangerous sledding as kids. One of the hills we would go down time & again gives me vertigo now!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Sometimes it does seem that snow is better left an idea. Then, we have opposites..
Kudzu, Ha... I do love the name of that vine.
-Jayne

Stephanie said...

Running into a snow bank to stop always worked for me!

Gladys said...

I grew up in west Texas, we didn't have hills we had to sled down overpasses. :)

willow said...

Lovely haiku! Lovely snow!

Dreamhaven said...

Images soft as the fallen snow. Happy TT

Janice said...

I loved photos and the poem. Beautiful. I don't associate Alabama and snow. Ya learn something new every day!

Leah said...

What a perfect pairing of haiku and photos. Thank you for sharing!

R.J. Edwards said...

Footprints, rarely seen,
Of tiny scurrying things
Carved into the snow

I love that!

lettuce said...

and i'm a few days late....
Lovely poetry and photos