Saturday, December 19, 2009

Not Exactly Sepia Saturday


I was fiddling around on my computer this morning and came across this photo. This has got to be one of my all-time favorite photographs. I get excited just looking at it.

The memories of those games! Back when quarterbacks called their own plays. Back when games were played in snow driving so hard you could scarcely see the field - much less the lines ON the field. Back when games were played in pouring rain - and receivers slid for 15 yards in the mud after catching the ball and then rising so covered in brown glop that you couldn't read the numbers on their jerseys. Back when games were played in temperatures so freezing that the ground crunched beneath cleats struggling for purchase and breath froze the second it hit the air.

Ah, Unitas! My favorite of favorites! Did you know how much I loved watching you? Did you know how exciting it was seeing you walk onto the field in those high-topped shoes? You, and Matte and Mackey.... How I miss you! I get goosebumps just thinking about some of those games.

There will never be another like you. You were the best. You were the greatest. Yet you never received the accolades - or the money - you deserved.

And this - THIS - is the greatest football photograph ever taken.

6 comments:

Janice said...

Great photo! I like football but I am a wimp; if it's raining (nevermind snow!)I'm gone from the stadium and on my way to warmth.

Poetikat said...

You've got ME excited and I'm not even a football fan! As we get older, don't we just appreciate those things from our heyday that much more?

otin said...

Actually, in most polls, Unitas usually comes in in the upper part of the list. People get lost as history goes on because they are put out of mind. Even Joe Montana, who was more recent in history is kind of lost in the mix.

Megan said...

That is a great photo. To this day, my dad has trouble saying "Indianapolis Colts"...

AngelMay said...

Me too, Megan! Me too!

Brian Miller said...

that is an amazing pic! the steady calm, with the chaos all around him...