Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Theme Thursday - Telephone


Let me take you back to 1952.
The theatre smells of buttery popcorn and the seats are deep red velvety plush. Sometimes the floor is pretty sticky so watch your feet. If you arrive a little late, an usher in a spiffy uniform with a tiny flashlight will seat you.

The huge red velvet and gold-tasseled curtain goes up. Feature begins. Today’s Black & White Feature: “Chicago Calling” starring Dan Duryea.



Here is one of the things IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043401/ ) has to say about this film:

Duryea is out of work, and his wife takes the kid and leaves him. They are involved in an auto accident, out of town, and Duryea must wait until they are out of surgery to receive a phone call informing him as to whether they will live or die. Because his phone bill is un-paid, his phone is disconnected, and he tries in vain to earn, borrow, and even contemplates stealing the money.To make matters worse, his little pooch is run down in traffic.When the Phone Company Rep comes to pick up the instrument (this was made long before we all owned our own phones!) Duryea cons the guy into hooking him up long enough to take the long distance call from Chicago concerning the condition of his wife and kid. This is where you will really need the Prozac!Although this is downbeat throughout, Duryea gives an acting "tour-de-force" and if they ever show it again, it is well worth watching, but you've been warned!

I was hoping I could find this at Netflix but, alas, they just don’t have it. If you have seen it, you know just how good it is. If you haven’t seen it, please do if you ever get the chance. It’s excellent.

Speaking of telephones…

The first phone I can remember my parents ever having looked something like this:





We had a “party” line and it was pretty funny. I was just a kid and I could pick up the phone and hear the old lady down the street talking to somebody. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff people talked about. Well… maybe you would.

Then my parents got a “private” line and one of these:




Pretty snazzy, huh?

When I was a teenager, I had one of these:



I was way cool! At least I thought I was way cool. There I was in an oversized men's white dress shirt and jeans. Legs in the air, butt in the chair, head nearly on the floor - just like the little "princess" I was. Eat your hearts out!


Now I have one telephone in the entire house – and I never answer it. It is hooked up to an answering machine so it won’t feel too neglected.

If anyone wants me, they had better call me on this one, instead:




Bye Bye now. Nice chattin’ with ya.
Ya’ll come back real soon now… ya hear?

What? Damn!
Can you hear me now?
Hello?
Hello?

29 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ha. those last couple lines gave me a smile...

i remember the rotary phones with a nostalgic fondness...

happy tt!

otin said...

Wasn't it great to be able to have a conversation without always worrying about the call getting cut off!

tattytiara said...

An honest to god princess phone! That is very cool.

...mmm... said...

One day we will look back on dropped lines with fondness too!

Ronda Laveen said...

The first phones I remember looked like your first two. We also had a "party line" for a while...and it could be quite funny. And annoying if you were trying to call out. I always wanted a princess phone like yours but the closest I got was one of those little turquoise ones with the chain that the used for promotion. I still have it and love it.

Alan Burnett said...

Lovely post. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And you reminded me about Party Lines. The first phone my father ever had was on a party line. I'd forgotten all about that. Happy TT.

Betsy said...

This was so much fun! I kinda miss those rotary phones!

Stephanie said...

Ah, nothing like a party line.

e said...

I'm laughing ! This was such a wonderful post...

Happy TT to you!

Jill said...

I liked the rotary phone...something soothing about dialing up a favorite number...WITH A ZERO of course!

Gladys said...

My parents were on a party line too and it was hell to pay if I got caught listening in :)

The Silver Fox said...

Great memories for me, too. And didn't every teenage girl who got her own phone get a "princess" model? My sister did!

Tom said...

if i could find a working rotary i would so use it. love the click click click it makes backing up.

Wings said...

Great post! I Have never heard of this movie, but now I want to see it! Nice. :)

Poetikat said...

I so remember that pink phone! My friend Jane T had one (I was permanently in envy of her - you can read about her on Blasts From the Past. The Easy Bake Oven Mystery features her).
My cousins in Nova Scotia were on a party line—that's the only time I was ever on one. It was so weird.

Sandra Leigh said...

You had your own phone? My goodness, Angel May, you were a little princess. I can see you now, in that oversized shirt. Weren't they wonderful?

e said...

Thanks for sharing your memories in my comments section today. I think the advent and availability of fiberoptics and other technologies has reduced the costs for communication. Also, we have more alternatives available today, such as e-mail...

JeffScape said...

Rotary phones rock!

nanny said...

I wanted a princess sooooooooo bad....never got it!!!lol

Megan said...

Never saw that movie! Maybe it will be on TCM some day?

Colette Amelia said...

Hey is that pose hard wired into every teenage girl from birth? Too funny! Thanks that was a hoot!

Jaime said...

i had a pink phone almost exactly like yours... im not sure why. i never really liked pink!

Baino said...

Oh yer a tease! An a pink phone! God I'd have loved my own phone when I was a teenager instead of wondering kilometres to the nearest phone booth to avoid the 'walls' listening in at home!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I remember those 'party lines' being a huge joke to the uninvited..... -Jayne

Kris said...

Party lines? Weren't they filthy?

lettuce said...

the film sounds a bit stressful!

and party lines - goodness, I'd forgotten all about them

great post

California Girl said...

I like your picture of the Princess phone way better than the one I found.

Dot-Com said...

Loved the pink one! But you saved the best for last - I think that Nokia flip-phone is just what I need to find. I'm off shopping!

Dreamhaven said...

If all the satelites go down, cell phones won't be worth much,lol. Thanks for sharing those photos.