Thursday, November 26, 2009

Desktop


In response to Alan Burnett on his wonderful blog, News From Nowhere, I'm posting my current desktop wallpaper. (If you haven't visited Alan's blog, you must. It's really wonderful.)
This is a photo, taken by my very dearest friend in California, of a rose that I gave him several years back. He obviously has a green thumb since this rose is absolutely gorgeous and perfectly healthy. It is my favorite of all colors for roses. I never tire of looking at it.

This particular rose was the 2003 Habitat for Humanity Rose. I've never been sure of the actual name given to this rose once the Habitat for Humanity series of Roses ended with the Jackson & Perkins company who sponsored it.

This desktop photo replaced another that is very dear to me:


This completely adorable thing is my girl, Sylvie. She was only 12 weeks old in this photo and I had just brought her home to live with me. She's a Champagne Mink Tonkinese with more personality than most people I know. And she's absolutely smart. She is definitely a "people cat" and will check you out without inhibition should you ever come to visit. She is SO much help, in fact, that if I ever have workmen in the house attempting to do a job I have to put her in another room and close the door. Sometimes you just don't need so much help.

She will ride around the house on my shoulders, and sometimes she decides it's time to put some lovin' on mommy and she crawls up my chest, puts a paw on each side of my neck, and nuzzles me under my chin. She has me absolutely trained. When I put her food down, she runs to a glittery ball that is suspended from a line on a tiny pole and waits for me to come and play ball with her. After a few minutes of play, when I return the pole and ball to its resting place, she will trot over - big as you please - and eat her dinner.

As you can tell, I'm not in the least besotted by her. And, of course, she isn't spoiled at all.

11 comments:

Baino said...

Ooh must play this, I change my desktop quite a bit but have had the current photo on there for a while. I had a 'tonkinese' years ago. Fantastic cat all the gentleness of a Burmese and the playfulness and intelligence of a Siamese. I haven't been game to replace her over the past 10 years as she wasn't a bird catcher and I can't be sure a new puss would leave my parrots in peace. She's been replaced by a golden labrador that also has me beautifully trained!

otin said...

I never really cared about my desktop! I love the kitty, though! I love cats! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Poetikat said...

AngelMay, It looks as if you and I have been juggling similar desktop backgrounds. I haven't posted mine (just learned of this and I have a new poem up at the minute), but I go between the garden flora and fauna and my cats.
By the way, are you on Facebook? Want to be my friend. ha ha (look for Kat Mortensen).

Alan Burnett said...

Angel : That's a wonderful desktop, it must give you an emotional lift every time you see it. Thanks for the kind words - they are greatly appreciated.

Brian Miller said...

cute cat! and beautiful rose...guess i should do something creative with my desktop? its the same one that came on it...

tori said...

I need to change my desk too maybe a pic of my pup! have a great tday!

AngelMay said...

Kat, I'm still trying to figure out if I want to be on Facebook or not. If I decide in favor I will definitely ping you for a friend. :)

Sandra Leigh said...

I have a rose on my desktop, too - but mine is the frilly one that I photographed in Victoria. Yours is truly beautiful.

Do give Sylvie a nuzzle for me.

Skip Simpson said...

Even tho I do like roses, I like the kitty better.

Megan said...

Cool!

lettuce said...

oh she does look adorable, and thats a great photograph