Thursday, October 15, 2009

Not Really Theme Thursday


My little offering (below) is not really in the spirit of Theme Thursday. However, TT did give me the idea for the title. Note to Otin: I didn't kill the bast*rd, but I wanted to. :)

As for TT, I have no idea what to think. Global climate change is certainly happening as far as I can tell. I cringe at today's photos of the arctic ice -- or, I should say, lack of arctic ice. I suppose that, even in 2000, when I was lucky enough to be there, there was less ice present than in years past.

And I despair for the polar bear population that is struggling to survive. I do think that we forget that we share this planet with other creatures and in our greed and impatience we use up and toss aside anything that either benefits or does not interest us.

I have a friend who believes humans are a parasite on the planet. Perhaps he is right. I do have my doubts that we will ever wake up and treat this situation with the attention -- and respect -- that it deserves.



11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i do hope we wake up to the fact that we are soiling our own bed. eventually it will get bad enough we wont wan to sleep in it.

AngelMay said...

But THEN where will we sleep?

Humans seem to have an unconscionable disrespect for nature. It's depressing.

Wings said...

Yeah, I sometimes think the same thing. We aren't doing anything to help it like we are to hurt it, eh?

e said...

Soiling one's own bed is the sign of our times and unfortunately unlikely to stop until consequences confront us all on a personal level...Thanks for posting.

Tom said...

yeah, you're probably right...but who knows, maybe the kids will get educated and make it work.

otin said...

yep, we are like ants in a really nice lawn, just building an ugly, messy mound!

Skip Simpson said...

Thanks for your comment on my post! Ooops! Guess I DID have too many Mimosas!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I'm seeing the parasite/planet image in time lapse. YIKES! -Jayne

Colette Amelia said...

I guess that is the problem the changes are hard to prove and they are all synthesized by individuals...for many of the young this is their normal!

They can't fathom our "normal" and what the hell do we know anyway?

Wow been to the Pole! wonderful experience I bet!

tony said...

I dont think we are "parasites".......We are ,i guess, just wrapped up in our own little World....the day-to-day business of our own life gives us little time to see "The Bigger Picture"?

Dot-Com said...

The polar bears might have to adjust to heat and sun. Poor bears :-(