Friday, September 11, 2009

A New Start

It has occurred to me (duh) that you cannot run away from something - or someplace - without running to something - or somewhere - else. Not long ago, I ran away from the place of my birth, my roots, my culture. I ran about as far as one can run and not fall off into the Pacific Ocean. I ran to this little jewel of a place called Port Townsend, Washington.

It is advertised as "a quaint Victorian seaport filled with art galleries, historic homes and buildings, and one-of-a-kind shops. The many restaurants run the gamut from vegan to steak, Thai to Mexican. All businesses are privately owned by local residents, with no chain stores to be found."

This, of course, is not entirely true. I have yet to find a true "steak" restaurant and there are definitely chain stores to be found. Among those chain stores you will find McDonald's, Radio Shack, Blockbuster Video, and Subway. But, mostly, you will find small, locally-owned shops and restaurants. If you want real shopping you will have to travel either south or west. This hasn't seemed too much of an inconvenience as my better half and I have settled in to enjoy life with near-perfect weather and views to die for.

We are surrounded by water and mountains. There are walking/biking trails spider-webbed through the town and surrounds. There is a wonderful Saturday (and Wednesday during most of the summer) farmer's market uptown where fresh, organic vegetables are to be found alongside other stalls of artwork, lavender-scented lotions and spritzers and soaps, jams and jellys, hand-made pottery, and the irresistible offerings of the most wonderful bakery imaginable. This fun market is located dead in the middle of the street which is closed to traffic for the occasion. Another occasion for stopping the traffic is the annual pet parade where both children and adults dress up their pets and parade happily down the middle of the main uptown street. Yet another is the annual kinetic sculpture race - which I will leave, for now, to your imagination. But, if you just have to know, try here: http://www.ptguide.com/wkstone/webkeystone.py?Profile=events/events_exp_search.prof&EventID=7350&UserID=biz_ptguide

Here, I find that I can sit on my deck even in the "dog days" of summer and never once be bothered by the bugs that seem to be ubiquitous in the South and which kept me indoors there most of the time. And how can I resist the fabulous show-stopper to which I am treated nearly every evening as the sun goes down?
And here, I suppose, is as good a place as any to end this first post.













2 comments:

Sandra Leigh said...

Welcome to the Land of Blog, AM. I love that sunset photo, and I am very glad that you decided to make the PNW your home.

Colette Amelia said...

Sounds like a wonderful place to be! Great to meet you!